Bubble Eye Blue Ring Angel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 jim davidson

New To Forum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Please help! I recently purchased a new fish which within a day or two showed signs of a bad eye problem. A day or so later some of the other fish in my tank started rubbing their sides on the tank walls and on the sand. My large bluering angel did the same but I noticed one of his eyes was cloudy and began to bulge out. All of the fish were still eating well but within a day or so the angels other eye started to swell and clouded over.
The angel seems to be blind now and isnt eating, I even offer him food from my hand and he just backs away.
I was advised by my friend to try the three day oodinox treatment which I have done. I dont have a oziniser.
My water is good, apart from the nitrates reading 25 which are normaly 5-10.
Will the angel pull through?
He's like a family pet and we couldnt bare to loose him.

#2 Princess Venom

Shark Kisser

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your angel. Unfortunately once they stop eating it's often the end for them http://www.marinefis...tyle_emoticons/default/sad.gif have you tried garlic in it's food to see if that helps her to feed?

I'm not sure on treatments for the bubble eye - I dose copper regularly on the fish system, but obviously it's not invert safe to treat that way. I get an occasional fish with bubble eye problems, but the majority of the time it goes down on it's own. What it may be worth doing is a freshwater dip in some RO water, to see if that helps? The freshwater kills off any bacteria/parasite problems, and can help if that's the reason behind the eye problem. However, if it's injury based, there's not much else you can do for the poor thing.

I hope that helps a little, and fingers crossed!

#3 Guest_Carol_*

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

If your parameters are as good as you say eg no ammonia or nitrite and the fish had a problem so very quickly after you bought it , it may well have bought the problem with it, pop eye or exopthalmus can be caused by injury or by internal pressure from an ulcer or build up of fluid . The latter 2 causes are often because of bad water conditions which cause internal organ failure.

Sadly as Princess sayes when they stop eating it a very bad sign, as al the fish are now scratching can you see any marks like white spots on them? Parasites may be flukes that are hard to see with out skin scrapeings, thier often not free swimming so to advise a UV light wouldnt help if this is the case.

I dotn realy understand the comment about ozone ? Oodinex many people on here have found kills more than it cures.

First you must establish what you have got , a freshwater dip will sort out parasites that remain on fish like flukes and a UV light will sort out any that live part of thier life cycle in the water column but you do need a skimmer for ozone .

Can you tell us more about your tank , size etc equipment the method you run it by ..eg bio balls external cannister sump?? Also how many fish what species do yu have and how long has it been set up?

#4 jim davidson

New To Forum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

All of the fish that were scratching are fine now, apart from the bluering angel and the indian yellowtail angel.
My tank is 6x2x2ft and 800ltrs or 175 gallons. My sump is 4x1x1ft.
Water movement in tank is done by 4 powerheads and a closed loop system (behind rock)
Lights are 250w x 3 Halide and 2 Blue tubes. Halides on for 8 hrs. LCD moon light on during night.
60kgs live rock and some volcanic. Sand subsrtate.
Water overflows to sump.
Water flows into sump through filter foam and wool, then through bio balls
next chamber holds my large deltec skimmer (sorry I cant remember model)
next chamber holds wool then chamber holding return pump 4500ltrs.
The return pump goes through the UV before going back into main tank.
I also run an external filter(rena filstar XP) which is connected to my main tank.
Fish are bluering angel, indian yellowtail angel (small), regal tang, naso tang, purple tang, 3 clowns,spotted gobie,algie blennie and a chromis.
My clean up crew are hermits, turbo snails and a large spike sea urchine called george.
Corals include 2 large toadstools, cabbage leather, very large finger mushroom and lotts of corallimorphs.
This tank has been set up for three years.
Water change 200ltrs every 2 weeks.
Temp 79f, salinity 35 ppt, ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 25,PH 8.2 and KH 10.5
I hope this is some help

#5 Guest_Carol_*

• Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

That sounds like a nice enough tank and doesent sound over crowded, maintenence sounds fine to me too . I imagine you probably have a TS1060 or similar . This tank tho your sump is smaller and i run Berlin very like my 6x2x2 .

All i can do is hazard a guess but i would say the Angel has been injured, or if it has a physical illness internally it had it before you got it. As your conditions seem fine to me realy i wouldnt mess with medicines as all the fish get it in the neck , Oodinex as far as i remember is for parasites, normally WS so it wouldnt do the fish much good for this anyway .

Onlt thing is you mention a Indian yellowtail angel , i cant find a fish in my book called this and have not heard of one before , if thier both Holocanthus or both Pomecanthus there will be a possibility for scraps . What about George , no possibility of injury there?(OK its a Apolymichthys Xanthus so shouldnt be a conflict))

Sadly tho your in the lap of the gods with this.

Sounds a very nice tank thio how about a picture for us all to see please?

Edited by Carol, 29 October 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#6 jim davidson

New To Forum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

That sounds like a nice enough tank and doesent sound over crowded, maintenence sounds fine to me too . I imagine you probably have a TS1060 or similar . This tank tho your sump is smaller and i run Berlin very like my 6x2x2 .

All i can do is hazard a guess but i would say the Angel has been injured, or if it has a physical illness internally it had it before you got it. As your conditions seem fine to me realy i wouldnt mess with medicines as all the fish get it in the neck , Oodinex as far as i remember is for parasites, normally WS so it wouldnt do the fish much good for this anyway .

Onlt thing is you mention a Indian yellowtail angel , i cant find a fish in my book called this and have not heard of one before , if thier both Holocanthus or both Pomecanthus there will be a possibility for scraps . What about George , no possibility of injury there?(OK its a Apolymichthys Xanthus so shouldnt be a conflict))

Sadly tho your in the lap of the gods with this.

Sounds a very nice tank thio how about a picture for us all to see please?

#7 jim davidson

New To Forum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

I tried giving my fish garlic mixed with brine shrimp. The fish loved it but the bluering couldnt see it. I offered him some seaweed up to him and he gulped the lot. I did the same later and he took it from my hand, but I go offshore thursday and I cant see my wife doing that.
His left eye is not swollen now but still a bit cloudy, so I hope it clears soon.
My other angel the Indian yellowtail angel is feeding well and seems to be by the worst.
There is a picture of the Indian yellotail angel in the Marine Fishes book, the fish shop said it was a cream angel.
I will put a picture on when I get back, hopefully with johnny the bluering angel right in the middle of my tank.

#8 Guest_Carol_*

• Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well i would give him anything he wants as long as hes eating, the cloudyness is keratitus at a guess as i think this could well be injury from what you are describeing. I had a Foxface that got a nasty rip right accross the cornea , beign a foxface he never stopped eating and was fine and healed.

Yep ive googled the angel as you can see from the previous post ive popped in the latin name , shouldnt be a conflict there.

Try and pursuade the Mrs to at least feed him once a day as they can go anorexic tho a healthy fish with plenty of bodyweight will go for quite a while with no supplimental feeding, id not reccomend it.

#9 jim davidson

New To Forum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

Well i would give him anything he wants as long as hes eating, the cloudyness is keratitus at a guess as i think this could well be injury from what you are describeing. I had a Foxface that got a nasty rip right accross the cornea , beign a foxface he never stopped eating and was fine and healed.

Yep ive googled the angel as you can see from the previous post ive popped in the latin name , shouldnt be a conflict there.

Try and pursuade the Mrs to at least feed him once a day as they can go anorexic tho a healthy fish with plenty of bodyweight will go for quite a while with no supplimental feeding, id not reccomend it.

Just thought I would let you Know that my blue ring angel died on Saturday. My wife hand fed him for the 2 weeks that I was away, but when I got back he stopped feeding and started swimming upsidedown, which was terrible to see.
Since he died I have put in a new sump, with thanks to my mate fred. Hopefully with a better filter and a new ozoniser fitted, when I purchase my next angel the water will be even better and give the fish a better chance.
Do you have any other advise on what I could add to my tank to improve the water quality?

#10 Guest_Carol_*

• Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear that. http://www.marinefis...tyle_emoticons/default/sad.gif

All i can say is keep parameters at optimum levels , best way is not to either over feed or overcrowd. If you have a good skimmer , plenty of LR a regular maintenence shedule for water changes etc. Plus the most important thing buy healthy fish in the first instance. Might seem crass to say this but its easy to buy a fish that has been caught with less than ethical methods(cyanide), thier more colourful and more active and might easily seem more attractive to a novice.

Its quite possible this was the case with the angel , its very common these days to see fish sedated for travel with MS2222 this doesent do many species a lot of good in the long run. Bubble eye (Exopthalmus) and the symptoms of swimming upside down or havign difficulty keeping balance quite probably with a swollen body and pinecone scales are all signs that poor old fish has got a total breakdown of both liver and kidneys bless it.

I had a Bi-Colour angel develop this in 2 days of going into my ultra low nutrient system , unfortunatly however good ones water conditions are or however experienced we all cock up on the buying front from time to time as some fish dotn all take catching and import as well as others however sympathetically thier caught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users